Aug 31 2016

EL &IC continued..

Posted at 3:26 am under Uncategorized

In finishing the book, a whole slew of thoughts popped into my head. As per the last post I made, I decided to follow suit in just listing some of those thoughts. Let me know what you think. 🙂

1.) Beatles Reference: I know I’ve talked about this before, but the Eleanor Rigby reference on page 163, with the context just hit me. It made me a little sad in a way too. “My boots were so heavy that I was glad there was a column underneath us. How could such a lonely person have been living so close to me my whole life? If I had known, I would have gone up to keep him company.” It makes me sad because Oskar is willing to give up his time and put himself aside to make another less lonely. Oskar too is lonely and sad but he has no one to make him feel better.

2.) Stephen Hawking’s letters: On page 200 is where I start to really notice this occurrence, but it seems that Stephen Hawking is another rock for Oskar to hold onto. From this page on, anytime there is a super stressful event or Oskar has heavy boots, the letter will appear. It’s interesting because after he gets closure from helping the other man, thus finding where the key goes, the letters don’t mean as much. Stephen Hawking being Oskar’s aspirations also paints an image of two debilitated people. Oskar has to deal with such a crushing blow to his emotional self, thus breaking him down. Stephen Hawking, while he can never truly recover, finds hope in younger generations of scientists in the world. The two of them need each other, and that made me quite happy that two very different people can come together.

3.) The use of eyes: The grandmother uses her eyes to communicate with the grandfather, but towards the end of the book, eyes are used as a connection to Oskar and the 9-11 terrorist. Eyes can tell you so much about a person, pain, hunger, sadness, happiness, regret, etc. I wonder what the terrorists eyes would show? “I hate you my eyes would tell him. I hate you, his eyes would tell me” (244). I personally see the hatred, but also wonder the other end of the story. Oskar hates the terrorist, and frankly who wouldn’t, but what happened before all the attacks? I’d imagine that most people would want to know just the same.

4.) Quotes that struck me:

“Everything that’s born has to die, which means our lives are like skyscrapers” (245).  I don’t think out of context this would make sense, but the book makes it. To show the fragility of life in a single quote, yet correlating back to the attacks made the quote perfect. It was placed at a rather needed time too, when Oskar is up in the Empire State Building, he is seeing the beauty and vastness of the New York he has been exploring. Oskar needed to go up to that building to come to terms with it all, and truly see what he has been doing.

“…that song, in his voice I heard my own voice, and my father’s and my grandfather’s, and it was the first time I’d heard your voice” (276). You know the sappy family portrait that people occasionally get? Well in reading this quite, that’s what I saw in my brain. I thought it was quite awesome that the author wrote this.

“And how can you say I love you to someone you love?” (314). The accuracy of this quote is beyond words. It’s the truth though, how do you truly express love? Especially if you are in love or infatuated with someone. There really is no way to show or say how much you love something.

One response so far

One Response to “EL &IC continued..”

1.   jessicalh19on 31 Aug 2016 at 1:02 pm 1

I love that you love the heavy boots metaphor as much as I do. I didn’t notice that the Hawking letters were in correlation, that’s interesting and makes sense though. The eyes were a great teller of feelings. It made me wonder if during 9/11, how many people made eye contact with the terrorist flying the plane, seconds before hitting?

Trackback URI | Comments RSS